Zhejiang Normal University
International Students Enjoy Samplings of Traditional Chinese Culture

Qualifications & Salaries

International faculty salaries at ZJNU depend on the position types and qualifications. There are significant differences between salaries for faculty who teach in different discipline areas and who have different degree and academic ranks.
Long-term Content Course Faculty
As stated in the Positions and Requirements, a long-term content course instructor needs to have a doctoral degree, have a full professor or associate professor rank, or be a renowned international researcher. There is no set salary package for this type of faculty. Salary is very competitive depending on the individual’s qualification and competence. International travel and relocation allowances are provided. 
Long-term Language Course Faculty
Language instructors need to have at least a bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two years of teaching or work experience. Salaries begin at 5,000 RMB per month, and are increased at the discretion of the Division of International Exchange and Collaboration Dean based on qualification and teaching experience.
Short-term Content Course Faculty
In general a short-term content course instructor needs to have a doctoral degree or be a tenured full professor or associate professor. A stipend of 4,000-4,500 USD is paid per course for a 4- to 6-week intensive course. 
1. Is the salary too low? That doesn’t seem like a lot of USD/BPS/CAD/etc to me.
ZJNU foreign faculty salaries are comparable to those of other Chinese universities. The cost of living in Jinhua is very cheap. Our teachers have found the salary to be more than sufficient to live comfortably, especially since they have no housing or airfare costs. Many of our teachers are able to save money to send home throughout the year to pay student loans, mortgages, etc.
2. Do I need to speak Chinese?
Most foreign faculty do not arrive with any Chinese language skill. You do not need to speak Chinese for teaching. Providing an English immersion classroom experience for your students is strongly encouraged. A basic level of Chinese will be needed for everyday life in Jinhua, but Jinhua is a great environment for learning Chinese. The amount of Chinese needed for everyday life like shopping and eating out can be learned quickly after arrival (see Survival Phrases pdf). The neighborhoods just off campus and downtown have restaurants and shops full of friendly faces happy to help you practice! 
Prospective international teachers should apply by email. Applicants should send a cover letter along with a resume or CV to Ms. Fang Liang at fangliang531@126.com

©2015 Zhejiang Normal University all rights reserved.  Add: 688 Yingbin Road, Jinhua, Zhejiang Province, 321004 China Tel: +86 (579) 8228-2380 Fax: +86 (579) 8228-0337 E-mail: wsc@zjnu.cn